Univention Bugzilla – Bug 35599
Join misses because of length of NetBIOS Name
Last modified: 2014-09-10 17:45:51 CEST
The NetBIOS is limited to 15 characters, but by installing an UCS system you can only enter a windows domain name of a length of 14 characters.
An join by using Active Directory Connection may be impossible, if the NetBIOS name of an windows domain has exactly 15 characters, because windows domain name an NetBIOS name have to be the same at joining.
Note: http://docs.univention.de/manual-3.2.html#installation:Domain_settings claims that the max length for a Windows domain is 13 characters which is wrong too.
(In reply to Dirk Ahrnke from comment #1)
> Note: http://docs.univention.de/manual-3.2.html#installation:Domain_settings
> claims that the max length for a Windows domain is 13 characters which is
> wrong too.
13 is the current limit in UCS, we explicitly changed the documentation in Bug 31688
(In reply to Moritz Muehlenhoff from comment #2)
> 13 is the current limit in UCS, we explicitly changed the documentation in
> Bug 31688
We have noticed at least Bug 30225. It deals with the DC name, not the domain name (and links to a Technet Article which mentions the limit of 15 characters). There may be other limits in Samba 4 but I was not able to find a related documentation.
However, the installer currently in fact allows 14 characters. I verified it with a 3.2-2 ISO using TESTATESTBTEST as a "Windows Domain Name". "TESTATESTBTESTC" was rejected with "The length ... is greater than 14 characters".
After digging through the ancient svn and bugzilla logs:
* The limit of 14 for the netbios domain was introduced to the installer as a fix for Bug 7457 to work around a samba logon problem.
* The limit of 13 for the hostname was introduced to the installer as a fix for Bug 27307 to work around a samba join problem.
1. I'll re-check both restrictions
2. If we decide to change something about the hostname limits as well (which is not subject of the initial bug report), then we should fix this in univention-system-setup (Bug 27854) and ucs-school-umc-wizards (Bug 30225).
The tests have been successful:
* Netbios join of XP against Samba3 and user logon
* join of Windows 7 via the DNS domain name against Samba4 and user logon.
I couldn't get Windows 7 to join via Netbios name into Samba4, not even with a short domain name, so I couldn't test that.
I now only raised the limit for the domain name, not for the hostname.
PS: This should also be fixed in the installer (Bug 35810) at some point.
OK - join with winxp against samba3 and winxp/win7 against samba4 works with a
windows/domain Name with 15 characters.
OK - merged to 4.0
OK - YAML