Bug 36110 - Add AD member mode to system setup: Apply network settings immediately
Add AD member mode to system setup: Apply network settings immediately
Status: CLOSED FIXED
Product: UCS
Classification: Unclassified
Component: System setup
UCS 4.0
Other Linux
: P5 enhancement (vote)
: UCS 4.0
Assigned To: Dirk Wiesenthal
Stefan Gohmann
: interim-3
Depends on: 36049 36278 36280
Blocks: 35653
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-10-09 17:43 CEST by Dirk Wiesenthal
Modified: 2014-11-26 06:53 CET (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
What kind of report is it?: ---
What type of bug is this?: ---
Who will be affected by this bug?: ---
How will those affected feel about the bug?: ---
User Pain:
Enterprise Customer affected?:
School Customer affected?:
ISV affected?:
Waiting Support:
Ticket number:
Bug group (optional):
Max CVSS v3 score:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2014-10-09 17:43:40 CEST
As reported in the cloned bug, system-setup cannot check domains reliably unless the values given in the network page are applied immediately.

We need to activate the settings while the wizard is running. Maybe we only need to do this if there was no network in the beginning (VM).

+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #35653 +++

It should be possible to configure the AD member mode in the initial system setup wizard during the installation.
Comment 1 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2014-10-23 17:47:58 CEST
Ok, finally seems to work just fine. See also Bug#36285
Comment 2 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-10-28 17:54:48 CET
As discussed, the root password should be asked if password is set in system/setup/boot/fields/blacklist
Comment 3 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-10-29 10:02:08 CET
(In reply to Stefan Gohmann from comment #2)
> As discussed, the root password should be asked if password is set in
> system/setup/boot/fields/blacklist

I meant: "the root password should not be asked if the password is set in system/setup/boot/fields/blacklist"
Comment 4 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2014-10-31 01:51:55 CET
Fixed in
  univention-system-setup 8.1.34-3.741.201410310033
Comment 5 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-11-04 09:06:28 CET
(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #4)
> Fixed in
>   univention-system-setup 8.1.34-3.741.201410310033

OK, the password field works.

But I don't see that the network settings are changed for example the IP address.
Comment 6 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2014-11-06 12:46:11 CET
I think I fixed it in
  univention-system-setup 8.1.49-2.761.201411061115

At least I could set a wrong DNS server in Debian installer, change it to the Master's IP in system-setup and the DC Master's name could be resolved when checking the credentials; join was successful.

Done by running /usr/lib/univention-system-setup/scripts/30_net/* with the current values (and deleting the profile file afterwards).
I have superficially checked for side effects and found none.
Comment 7 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2014-11-06 16:00:46 CET
(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #0)
> As reported in the cloned bug, system-setup cannot check domains reliably
> unless the values given in the network page are applied immediately.
> 
> We need to activate the settings while the wizard is running. Maybe we only
> need to do this if there was no network in the beginning (VM).
> 
> +++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #35653 +++
> 
> It should be possible to configure the AD member mode in the initial system
> setup wizard during the installation.

I think that it is a bad idea to apply the network settings now in any case, it takes too long and I would rather opt for a wizard were all settings are applied after the summary page. AFAIS, there are no validations being done server side when applying the settings.

If not possible otherwise, I would apply the network settings after entering the AD credentials.
Comment 8 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2014-11-06 17:16:36 CET
(In reply to Alexander Kläser from comment #7)
> I think that it is a bad idea to apply the network settings now in any case,
> it takes too long and I would rather opt for a wizard were all settings are
> applied after the summary page. AFAIS, there are no validations being done
> server side when applying the settings.
> 
> If not possible otherwise, I would apply the network settings after entering
> the AD credentials.

No validation is done. But only the network settings are applied, which have been validated at least "syntax-wise" by JS.

The new network settings may also be needed for UCS domain members.

In the installer / appliance mode, there are hopefully very few services installed that need to be restarted while applying the values.

If the time it takes is a problem in these scenarios, please reopen the bug.
Comment 9 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-11-07 23:54:18 CET
It works now as suggested. In appliance mode it took between 4 and 10 seconds in my tests. That's not an awesome value but I think it is OK.
Comment 10 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2014-11-10 11:28:19 CET
(In reply to Stefan Gohmann from comment #9)
> It works now as suggested. In appliance mode it took between 4 and 10
> seconds in my tests. That's not an awesome value but I think it is OK.

I opened Bug 36532 for this.
Maybe an option to skip hook scripts would be helpful, as well?
Comment 11 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-11-26 06:53:55 CET
UCS 4.0-0 has been released:
 http://docs.univention.de/release-notes-4.0-0-en.html
 http://docs.univention.de/release-notes-4.0-0-de.html

If this error occurs again, please use "Clone This Bug".