Bug 35537 - Profile based d-i installation
Profile based d-i installation
Status: CLOSED FIXED
Product: UCS
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UCS Installer
UCS 4.0
Other Linux
: P5 normal (vote)
: UCS 4.0-1-errata
Assigned To: Philipp Hahn
Stefan Gohmann
:
: 34060 35745 (view as bug list)
Depends on: 36269 36292 38248
Blocks: 36488 38509 38615
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-07-31 14:02 CEST by Sönke Schwardt-Krummrich
Modified: 2015-05-28 09:32 CEST (History)
7 users (show)

See Also:
What kind of report is it?: ---
What type of bug is this?: ---
Who will be affected by this bug?: ---
How will those affected feel about the bug?: ---
User Pain:
Enterprise Customer affected?:
School Customer affected?:
ISV affected?:
Waiting Support:
Ticket number:
Bug group (optional):
Max CVSS v3 score:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Sönke Schwardt-Krummrich univentionstaff 2014-07-31 14:02:23 CEST
The installation DVD should support profile based installation. Big question: how to select the profile from
- DVD itself
- attached block devices (HDD, USB stick, floppy)
Comment 1 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-09-01 09:13:00 CEST
*** Bug 35745 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 2 Sönke Schwardt-Krummrich univentionstaff 2014-10-24 18:42:21 CEST
Changes:
1) 
In the UDM modules computers/domaincontroller_* and computers/memberserver the property "Interactive installation" has been removed from the reinstallation group on the advanced settings tab.
→ Changelog entry has been made

2)
The package univention-net-installer has been ported to UCS 4.
The PXE configuration has been updated for the new UCS 4 installer. Please note that the support for UCS 3 installer has been removed.

@Stefan: 
do we need support for UCS 3 and UCS 4 installers? Or is it sufficient that a UCS3 repo server is only able to install UCS 3 systems while a UCS 4 repo server is only able to install UCS 4 systems?

Open problems:
a) some packages for the netinstaller seem to be missing on the DVD. The netinstaller is currently able to install UCS4 with omar as repo server (http://192.168.0.10/build2/ucs_4.0-0/) successfully but fails with a DVD repo (http://10.200.18.36/univention-repository/4.0/maintained/4.0-0/). The installer is not able to detect the harddisk.

b) the netinstaller has to be placed somewhere on the DVD so 
univention-repository-create is able to copy the netinstaller to the local repository, so the kernel/initrd may be delivered via PXE.

c) during the latest test installation via PXE univention-system-setup-boot has been installed in gtk mode but it has not been started by the d-i. After automatic reboot USS came up automatically. It has to be checked what the reason is.
Comment 3 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-10-27 06:32:48 CET
(In reply to Sönke Schwardt-Krummrich from comment #2)
> 2)
> The package univention-net-installer has been ported to UCS 4.
> The PXE configuration has been updated for the new UCS 4 installer. Please
> note that the support for UCS 3 installer has been removed.
> 
> @Stefan: 
> do we need support for UCS 3 and UCS 4 installers? Or is it sufficient that
> a UCS3 repo server is only able to install UCS 3 systems while a UCS 4 repo
> server is only able to install UCS 4 systems?

No, I think if you need a UCS 3 net installer, you can use a separate machine. In this case you should use a DC backup because it has a management GUI with the old options. Can you add a hint to the release notes?
Comment 4 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2014-10-27 17:29:19 CET
r54974 | Bug #35537 DVD: Fix hook script directory
 Fix directory name /usr/share/univention-dvd/share/
Package: univention-dvd
Version: 0.2.10-3.36.201410271723
Branch: ucs_4.0-0
Comment 5 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2014-10-27 17:44:39 CET
r54977 | Bug #35537 DVD: Fix hook script directory
 /usr/share/univention-dvd/{start_disc -> disc_start}_hook.d/
Package: univention-dvd
Version: 0.2.10-4.37.201410271738
Branch: ucs_4.0-0
Comment 6 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2014-11-07 22:23:48 CET
Moved to the post UCS 4.0 phase.
Comment 7 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2014-11-10 12:11:45 CET
univention-net-installer and univention-tftp are currently in unmaintained.
Comment 8 Florian Best univentionstaff 2015-02-05 11:04:34 CET
The already released svn r54938 introduced Bug #37560. You can probably mark it as duplicate when fixing this bug.
Comment 9 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2015-04-23 14:21:33 CEST
r60122 | Bug #35537 Up: Fix package build
r60117 | Bug #35537 N-I: Fix UCS-4 support
r60116 | Bug #35537 N-I: Fix UCS-4 support
r60115 | Bug #35537 N-I: Documentation
r60114 | Bug #35537 N-I: Add UCS-4 support
r60113 | Bug #35537 N-I: Copyright 2015
r60112 | Bug #35537 Up: Fix generation of dists/Packages files

Package: univention-net-installer
Version: 8.0.1-1.25.201504231304
Branch: ucs_4.0-0
Scope: errata4.0-1

r60127 | Bug #38248,Bug #35537: Profile based installation YAML
 2015-04-23-univention-updater.yaml
 2015-04-23-univention-net-installer.yaml

Documentation: <http://jenkins.knut.univention.de:8080/job/UCS-4.0/job/UCS-4.0-1/job/Handbook%20Extended/lastBuild/artifact/webroot/installation-4.0.html#profile:intro>

Known issues:
- join is not possible through profile - not supported by USS.
- profile based installation is only supported through PXE - modifying the DVD, using a floppy or USB stick is no longer supported.
- USS is run by cron@reboot - login via ssh is possible before the system is fully provisioned
- Setting the password for root required modifying the TEMPLATE - otherwise not account exists for login.
Comment 10 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2015-04-23 14:56:44 CEST
*** Bug 34060 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 11 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2015-04-24 15:07:10 CEST
r60175 | Bug #35537 Net: Enable online repository
 Added missing "ucr set repository/online=yes"

Package: univention-net-installer
Version: 8.0.1-2.26.201504241501
Branch: ucs_4.0-0
Scope: errata4.0-1

r60177 | Bug #35537 New: Profile based installation YAML
 2015-04-23-univention-net-installer.yaml
Comment 12 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2015-05-05 14:44:59 CEST
r60414 | Bug #35537 n-i: Fix test for profile installation
 Use preseed/url instead of mirror/http/hostname

Package: univention-net-installer
Version: 8.0.1-3.27.201505051412
Branch: ucs_4.0-0
Scope: errata4.0-1

Package: repo-ng
Version: 2.0-153.1395.201505051432
Branch: ucs_3.2-0
Scope: internal
Comment 13 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2015-05-05 14:58:42 CEST
debian-installer-images_20130613.469.20150505142117_amd64.tar.gz
ucs_4.0-1-20150505-142117-dvd-amd64.iso

r60416 | Bug #35537 n-i: Fix test for profile installation YAML
 2015-04-23-univention-net-installer.yaml


(In reply to Philipp Hahn from comment #12)
> Package: repo-ng
> Version: 2.0-153.1395.201505051432
wrong bug
Comment 14 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2015-05-05 17:09:04 CEST
The net installation works basically. The cron reboot job /etc/cron.d/univention-net-installer is not ideal. For example I'm unable to see when it has been finished. It should also be mention in the documentation otherwise one reboots the system during the setup-join.

I don't see the output of setup-join here: /var/log/univention/setup.log. Can you redirect the output?

Please also set the python version to 2.7 in univention-net-installer-daemon.

I've tried to install univention-samba via preseed but it didn't work:
 univention-system-setup-boot uss/packages_install univention-samba
Comment 15 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2015-05-05 23:06:42 CEST
(In reply to Stefan Gohmann from comment #14)
> The net installation works basically. The cron reboot job
> /etc/cron.d/univention-net-installer is not ideal. For example I'm unable to
> see when it has been finished. It should also be mention in the
> documentation otherwise one reboots the system during the setup-join.

r60435 | Bug #35537 PXE: d-i postinst
 Moved to di-univention-net-installer.postinst

> I don't see the output of setup-join here: /var/log/univention/setup.log.
> Can you redirect the output?

r60436 | Bug #35537 PXE: Redirect setup-join.log

> Please also set the python version to 2.7 in univention-net-installer-daemon.

r60434 | Bug #35537 PXE: Update to python2.7

> I've tried to install univention-samba via preseed but it didn't work:
>  univention-system-setup-boot uss/packages_install univention-samba

Works for me - missing "string"?
 univention-system-setup-boot uss/packages_install string univention-samba

Package: univention-net-installer
Version: 8.0.1-5.29.201505052301
Branch: ucs_4.0-0
Scope: errata4.0-1

r60437 | Bug #35537 PXE: Redirect setup-join.log YAML
 2015-04-23-univention-net-installer.yaml
Comment 16 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2015-05-06 13:21:34 CEST
(In reply to Philipp Hahn from comment #15)
> (In reply to Stefan Gohmann from comment #14)
> > The net installation works basically. The cron reboot job
> > /etc/cron.d/univention-net-installer is not ideal. For example I'm unable to
> > see when it has been finished. It should also be mention in the
> > documentation otherwise one reboots the system during the setup-join.
> 
> r60435 | Bug #35537 PXE: d-i postinst
>  Moved to di-univention-net-installer.postinst

Yes, looks good now.
 
> > I don't see the output of setup-join here: /var/log/univention/setup.log.
> > Can you redirect the output?
> 
> r60436 | Bug #35537 PXE: Redirect setup-join.log
> 
> > Please also set the python version to 2.7 in univention-net-installer-daemon.
> 
> r60434 | Bug #35537 PXE: Update to python2.7

OK, it works now.
 
> > I've tried to install univention-samba via preseed but it didn't work:
> >  univention-system-setup-boot uss/packages_install univention-samba
> 
> Works for me - missing "string"?
>  univention-system-setup-boot uss/packages_install string univention-samba

Yes, my fault.

> Package: univention-net-installer
> Version: 8.0.1-5.29.201505052301
> Branch: ucs_4.0-0
> Scope: errata4.0-1
> 
> r60437 | Bug #35537 PXE: Redirect setup-join.log YAML
>  2015-04-23-univention-net-installer.yaml

OK
Comment 19 Philipp Hahn univentionstaff 2015-05-28 08:26:47 CEST
Documentation published: r60891