Univention Bugzilla – Bug 44035
AD Member Mode: State clearly when to select "Join into an existing Active Directory domain"
Last modified: 2017-06-19 15:04:50 CEST
As of UCS 4.1-4, we have for options during "Domain setup" when installing UCS:
* Create a new UCS domain
* Join an existing Active Directory domain
* Join an existing UCS domain
* Do not use any domain
For some reason, people keep choosing "Join an existing Active Directory domain" when they should choose "Join an existing UCS domain". I believe that's because:
1. UCS provides Active Directory Domain Services via Samba, so people think "Well, it's Active Directory, so that must be it"
2. It's the second radio button and comes before the correct choice, which is only third. People often choose the first matching option without reading all the way down.
I propose two changes:
1. We should put Windows or Microsoft in there. The option could be renamed to "Join an existing Microsoft Active Directory domain". The little help text could become "This system will become a member of an existing non-UCS Active Directory". That would also cover other Samba ADs that are not UCS.
2. Switch the order. Make "Join an existing UCS domain" the second radio button and "Join an existing Active Directory domain" the third one.
*** Bug 36413 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I agree, the options are not self explanatory here. It's a crucial cross roads point in the installer and it should be a no-brainer to select the correct option.
Can't we simply say "Join an existing domain" and let the installer code figure out what kind of domain the user is about to join to?
If that's not possible then I also agree to implement both proposals above.
(In reply to Arvid Requate from comment #2)
> Can't we simply say "Join an existing domain" and let the installer code
> figure out what kind of domain the user is about to join to?
How should we find this out? By testing DNS records?
Sure, if the user supplies a DNS name, a valid DNS server needs to be configured, and if we have that, then we look up _domaincontroller_master anyway. If the user specifies an IP, we can CLDAP to it.
The thing is: you and I as humans can immediately recognize the domain we are in. We don't require KI here to implement that know how into code, do we?
So far, I improved the wording as suggested in the bug description.
I think this is enough for now as changing the internal logic seems more complicated. If we see that there are still usability problems after the text changes we can try to automatically choose the correct type in another errata update.
r79937 | Bug #44035: enhance the choice of domain type to join into
r79941 | YAML Bug #44035 Bug #44394 Bug #43273
OK - new texts, approved by Michael
OK - YAML