Bug 30811 - Welcome/startup dialog on evaluation systems
Welcome/startup dialog on evaluation systems
Status: CLOSED FIXED
Product: UCS
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UMC (Generic)
UCS 3.0
Other Linux
: P3 enhancement (vote)
: UCS 3.2
Assigned To: Alexander Kläser
Dirk Wiesenthal
: interim-3
Depends on: 32037 31752 33192
Blocks: 31559 32040 32389
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-03-18 16:05 CET by Alexander Kläser
Modified: 2013-11-19 06:42 CET (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
What kind of report is it?: ---
What type of bug is this?: ---
Who will be affected by this bug?: ---
How will those affected feel about the bug?: ---
User Pain:
Enterprise Customer affected?:
School Customer affected?:
ISV affected?:
Waiting Support:
Ticket number:
Bug group (optional): Usability
Max CVSS v3 score:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-03-18 16:05:05 CET
It would be nice to show on evaluation systems an info dialog which indicates that anonymous user statistics are sent to https://piwik.univention.de in order to help improving the user experience with UMC.

Currently, on a windows ad (w2k12), piwik.univention.de needs to be added to the IE trusted sites explicitely. Otherwise there will be a warning dialog displayed which could be a bit confusing to users without further explanation.
Comment 1 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-08-05 14:41:01 CEST
The activiation of a UCS system (for the App center) will also be shown in the wizard. Therefore it will also be necessary to refactor the activiation dialog from the app center package into the UMC frontend package.
Comment 2 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-08-05 14:44:21 CEST
The following steps will be shown in the wizard:
1) Welcome message + feedback
2) Explanation about anonymous user statistics
3) UCS activation
4) Help information
5) Closure message
Comment 3 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-08-13 13:48:40 CEST
Currently we do not have a fallback for the different pages in case the language specific page does not exist.
Comment 4 Erik Damrose univentionstaff 2013-08-13 14:27:25 CEST
Todo: The *.en.html files below management/univention-management-console-frontend/umc/app are in german.
Comment 5 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-08-14 19:05:46 CEST
The current status of the startup dialog has been activated and can be controlled via the UCRV umc/web/startupdialog:

  unset (or "") → dialog is shown only to Administrator on systems with FFPU license
  "true" → dialog is always shown to Administrator (license is ignored)
  "false" → dialog is not shown

Open TODO points:
* Merge license dialog + App Center activiation dialog into one license dialog (available via the UMC menu).
* Trigger hardware sysinfo module.


 univention-management-console-frontend (3.0.53-1) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * [WIP] Bug #30811: adjusted if statement
Comment 6 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-08-27 15:52:17 CEST
*** Bug 31991 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 7 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-08-27 16:52:45 CEST
(In reply to Alexander Kläser from comment #5)
> ...
> Open TODO points:
> * Merge license dialog + App Center activiation dialog into one license
> dialog (available via the UMC menu).

→ This has been outsourced to Bug 32389
Comment 8 Florian Best univentionstaff 2013-09-18 13:37:47 CEST
If logged in with user which does not have any modules the feedback link traces:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'title' of undefined 
in _showFeedbackPage
Comment 9 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-09-18 17:05:08 CEST
The dialog needs only to be shown on the DC master.

The activiation part will be shown via the settings menu. Therefor the hint that the email address can be left blank needs to be hidden.
Comment 10 Erik Damrose univentionstaff 2013-10-07 16:35:05 CEST
After updating a 3.1-1 UCS with a ffpu licence with a key-id i was greeted by the wizard which asked me how the installation went. Maybe we need more logic for the wizard to detect this case?
Comment 11 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-10-16 15:28:30 CEST
(In reply to Erik Damrose from comment #10)
> After updating a 3.1-1 UCS with a ffpu licence with a key-id i was greeted
> by the wizard which asked me how the installation went. Maybe we need more
> logic for the wizard to detect this case?

IMHO, this behaviour should be fine as FFPU systems are used rather temporarily for evaluation purposes. Getting feedback from these systems would be helpful, as well.
Comment 12 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-10-16 15:31:41 CEST
Another open point: translation to English.
Comment 13 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-10-18 17:03:17 CEST
All the open points have been addressed, translations have been added. The activation information is not shown in the wizard in case an activated license already exists (→ for updated FFPU systems). Information about cancelling/completing the wizard and positive/negative/none feedback is sent to piwik. Hardware information is collected and sent via the sysinfo module. All UMC menu items re-use the wizard pages.


 univention-management-console-frontend (3.0.110-1) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Bug #30811: added translations for startup wizard
Comment 14 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2013-10-23 16:00:28 CEST
1. StartupWizard is evaluated with _wizardCompleted = true when cancelled.
2. udm/request_new_license does not ignore errors, which can happen too easy:
3. Frontend email validation does meet backend email validation: "username@".

May I ask why you chose to do it with templated dialogues? They are not really programmable and do not have the same properties like "real" dialogues in a "real" wizard. <Enter> for example does not work at all. Plus, as these dialogues are used elsewhere, it would make the life of fellow programmers easier (e.g. UMC Activation)

Dialogue is shown only on master system. Probably nice for the user who does not want to see it over and over again. But what about the hardware information of follow up installations?

The last sentence says: "The activation of the UCS system can be performed via the menu item Activation of UCS in the settings menu on the top right." which is not really helpful (read: confusing) if the user already entered a email address when asked.

Design:
* Not all wizards have the same height

Wording:
* English: "Willkommen bei Univention Management Console"
* English: "Congratulations, you have successfully..." sounds surprised. Either because our product is hard to use ("We tried to make it impossible, but you have done it!") or the user is stupid ("*You* have done it? I would have bet...")
* English: "Have you been satisfied ..." -> "Are you satisfied ..."
* English: "usage statistics are by default created" -> "usage statistics are created by default"

Links:
* Tell us your opinion leads to German feedback site
* Anchor in UCS documentation is wrong because it loads the images and does not reevaluate the anchor (App Center).
Comment 15 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2013-10-23 16:07:08 CEST
Wording:
German: "Ende des Begrüßgungsassistenten"
German: "... über den Punkt UCS-Aktivierung des Einstellungsmenüs ..." -> MenuEntry is labelled "Aktivierung von UCS"
Comment 16 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-10-23 16:45:01 CEST
It seems as if the hardware statistics are also send even if the startup dialog is cancelled.
Comment 17 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2013-10-23 16:50:05 CEST
(In reply to Alexander Kläser from comment #16)
> It seems as if the hardware statistics are also send even if the startup
> dialog is cancelled.

Yes.

(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #14)
> 1. StartupWizard is evaluated with _wizardCompleted = true when cancelled.
Comment 18 Erik Damrose univentionstaff 2013-10-31 12:53:43 CET
The link to the manual in the activation dialog currently points to http://docs.univention.de/manual.html#software:appcenter
This should be a ucs-version-specific link, as the the 3.2 appcenter is different from the 3.1 one
Comment 19 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-11-04 10:26:59 CET
(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #14)
> 1. StartupWizard is evaluated with _wizardCompleted = true when cancelled.

Fixed.

> 2. udm/request_new_license does not ignore errors, which can happen too easy:
> 3. Frontend email validation does meet backend email validation: "username@".

Fixed. The frontend validation matches now the validation in the backend. Errors are reported via an alert separately.

> May I ask why you chose to do it with templated dialogues? They are not
> really programmable and do not have the same properties like "real"
> dialogues in a "real" wizard. <Enter> for example does not work at all.
> Plus, as these dialogues are used elsewhere, it would make the life of
> fellow programmers easier (e.g. UMC Activation)

Yes, you may. The decision via templates was chosen as...
(a) most of the page is text
(b) one can easily divert a template to replace it with a new one - without difficulties for translations (which are shipped in separate .json files)
(c) all wizard pages are re-used in the UMC help/settings menu

> Dialogue is shown only on master system. Probably nice for the user who does
> not want to see it over and over again. But what about the hardware
> information of follow up installations?

That is fine.

> The last sentence says: "The activation of the UCS system can be performed
> via the menu item Activation of UCS in the settings menu on the top right."
> which is not really helpful (read: confusing) if the user already entered a
> email address when asked.

I adapted the text to be more generic.

> Design:
> * Not all wizards have the same height

It was a bit tricky, as the maximum height of all pages needed to be determined. Now it should be fine. (Please check for different browsers.)

> Wording:
> * English: "Willkommen bei Univention Management Console"

Fixed.

> * English: "Congratulations, you have successfully..." sounds surprised.
> Either because our product is hard to use ("We tried to make it impossible,
> but you have done it!") or the user is stupid ("*You* have done it? I would
> have bet...")

This should be fine, though. The text will be checked again by someone from the marketing team.

> * English: "Have you been satisfied ..." -> "Are you satisfied ..."
> * English: "usage statistics are by default created" -> "usage statistics
> are created by default"

Fixed.

> Links:
> * Tell us your opinion leads to German feedback site

Fixed. This was a problem with redirection rules on the site.

> * Anchor in UCS documentation is wrong because it loads the images and does
> not reevaluate the anchor (App Center).

There is nothing I can do about that as this is a browser problem.

(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #15)
> Wording:
> German: "Ende des Begrüßgungsassistenten"

Fixed.

> German: "... über den Punkt UCS-Aktivierung des Einstellungsmenüs ..." ->
> MenuEntry is labelled "Aktivierung von UCS"

See your comment above. I changed this sentence.

(In reply to Erik Damrose from comment #18)
> The link to the manual in the activation dialog currently points to
> http://docs.univention.de/manual.html#software:appcenter
> This should be a ucs-version-specific link, as the the 3.2 appcenter is
> different from the 3.1 one

Fixed.

 univention-management-console-frontend (3.0.146-1) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Bug #30811: fixed several usability points
Comment 20 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2013-11-04 12:06:41 CET
Wording:
English: "Welcome to UMC" but "Welcome at Univention Management Console"
German: "Die Aktivierung des UCS-systems schlug fehl."
German: "E-Mail-Address" (placeholder)

Apart from that looks fine
Comment 21 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2013-11-04 12:09:01 CET
I would also remove the "." at the end of the sentences in the very first page: " Everything worked great." and "I see potential for improvement."

Wording:
English: "Further Informationen"
Comment 22 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-11-04 14:42:24 CET
(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #20)
> Wording:
> English: "Welcome to UMC" but "Welcome at Univention Management Console"
> German: "Die Aktivierung des UCS-systems schlug fehl."
> German: "E-Mail-Address" (placeholder)
> 
> Apart from that looks fine

Fixed.

(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #21)
> I would also remove the "." at the end of the sentences in the very first
> page: " Everything worked great." and "I see potential for improvement."

These have been added intentionally.

> Wording:
> English: "Further Informationen"

Fixed.

I also adjusted the email validation when calling the activation dialogue via the settings menu.

 univention-management-console-frontend (3.0.148-1) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Bug #30811: added email validation in activiation dialogue, fixed typos
Comment 23 Dirk Wiesenthal univentionstaff 2013-11-04 15:57:40 CET
One last thing and I will VERIFY this:

  When the email is not valid (but given, e.g. username.domain.com), please show the error message (maybe slightly adapted) that this has to be done again via settings menu. Otherwise the user does not get any feedback whatsoever that no license request has been sent.
Comment 24 Alexander Kläser univentionstaff 2013-11-04 16:29:30 CET
(In reply to Dirk Wiesenthal from comment #23)
> One last thing and I will VERIFY this:
> 
>   When the email is not valid (but given, e.g. username.domain.com), please
> show the error message (maybe slightly adapted) that this has to be done
> again via settings menu. Otherwise the user does not get any feedback
> whatsoever that no license request has been sent.

Fixed.

 univention-management-console-frontend (3.0.149-1) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Bug #30811: validate email address before jumping to the next page
Comment 25 Stefan Gohmann univentionstaff 2013-11-19 06:42:54 CET
UCS 3.2 has been released:
 http://docs.univention.de/release-notes-3.2-en.html
 http://docs.univention.de/release-notes-3.2-de.html

If this error occurs again, please use "Clone This Bug".